Village church deconsecrated
1973
All Saints Church, which has been in existence since 1907, has been deconsecrated. Falling attendances have forced its closure and it will now be converted to a dwelling.
1973
All Saints Church, which has been in existence since 1907, has been deconsecrated. Falling attendances have forced its closure and it will now be converted to a dwelling.
1960
The village has a new petrol station (pictured). It was opened by local businessman Arthur Lindley, the man who discovered the medieval wall paintings in the cottages behind the pumps. The petrol on sale is imported from Russia under the Power brand with its distinctive green pumps and white lozenge-shaped logo.
1953
Medieval wall paintings dating back to the 15th century have been discovered in a village cottage. It was quite by chance that Arthur Lindley, who owns the petrol station next to 132, uncovered them while he was doing some decorating. Stripping back several layers of paper in an upstairs room, he was astonished to find that behind them there was a full-size mural depicting a religious scene.
1939
The vilage school, which opened in 1877, has closed after 62 years of educating local pupils. Falling rolls and more modern schools in the growing town of Hemel Hempstead are behind the closure.
1907
The dedication of the new church All Saints means that Piccotts End is no longer a hamlet, it is now officially a ‘village’.
1877
There are barely 50 residents in the village but still enough to warrant the opening of a new primary school. The county council school, which has been built in Piccotts End Lane, will take pupils from the village and those families living at the top of the lane at Highfield.
1825
Some village cottages between 132 and 136 have been taken over by the eminent surgeon Sir Astley Paston Cooper, who lives at Gadebridge House. They will be used as a hospital for the growing number of men injured in the building of the London-Birmingham railway.
1760
Shorty after taking his seat in the House of Lords, the 3rd Earl Marchmont has taken up residence in Piccotts End. Already the owner of the splendid Palladian mansion Marchmont House in Scotland, the Earl has moved to the village to be within travelling distance of London. He has made considerable renovations to an existing property at the south end of the village, now renamed Marchmont House (pictured here from the river Gade).
1086
The recent takeover of England by the Norman invaders has resulted in many changes to our way of life, few of them welcome. A new book has just been published, listing all the most valuable assets in the country, including the area around here, so they can be taxed. To make matters worse, our land has been seized by a Walter Pygot, who was
375
Residents are up in arms about a large Roman housing estate which has sprung up on the edge of the village without planning permission. Local chieftain Simonavara Lillystonix said ‘It’s a real eyesore and totally out of keeping with our traditional village architecture of wattle and daub roundhouses. And why have they built that huge swimming pool? It’s not like Italy. Don’t they know it’s always cold and wet here?